In the long lead up to getting the keys for the new house, I’d got it into my head I was going to be super organised and have this amazing plan in place to make the whole moving process as simple as possible. I was clearly in a dream world. As soon as a few boxes were moved in any logic or ideas of a simple life went straight out the window. I do usually like taking the more complicated road anyway.
The first night staying in the house was complete squat life. I’d ordered bed frames and mattresses from Wayfair because that seemed a logical place to start. The frames turned up no problem, the mattresses on the other hand, nowhere to be seen for over a week. After quite a bit of time on the phone, being on hold and chatting to a lovely customer service rep, it turned out my delivery had been taken next door. Luckily my neighbours are really nice and didn’t mind keeping massive parcels in their garage for a week.
Here’s the part I didn’t quite think through. The house was now slowly filling up with boxes of more and more stuff and flat pack furniture and nowhere to put any of it. Both bedrooms still needed decorating, when I first looked round the house in January I thought the house was ready to move straight into. The more I looked after all their furniture was gone, I was very wrong.
Ordinarily, I love anything the colour of red wine – usually because it is red wine. When it’s covering the walls in a not so lovely patchy/dirty effect or with a (in my opinion) garish print, I’m just not a fan. Both rooms also came with massive wardrobes. At first I thought it was great the previous owners were leaving them but in reality life, for me would have been so much easier if they’d have taken them. Before any cleaning of decorating could begin, they needed dismantling. Silver lining – it was a pretty good work out!
I was far too impatient (and a little bit tired of lifting) to finish getting all of the wardrobes out before starting the decorating part. I was striping wallpaper and painting walls around the left over bits of wardrobe that I’d managed to get into the middle of the room. So sensible. Taking the paper off the walls was a job and a half without a wallpaper stripper (I was definitely an over confident idiot with that decision) it also uncovered some interesting choices from the last people – some nice sized holes that need more than a bit of filler to fix. No idea what to do with these so I made the master mind decision to paint around them and deal with them another day.
For my paint choices, I went super edgy. Off white and grey, crazy I know.
I did think I’d try and be a little bit creative though and get the frog tape out. I’d seen a few photos on Pinterest of accent walls extending round the corners of rooms, and I love that idea. My off white was a matt ‘polished pebble’ and my grey a silk ‘warm pewter’. I’m so happy with how the corner wrap turned out, and the tape gives such a crisp edge. So proud of myself!
The floorboards were bare and a bit stained. I made the quite sensible (in my opinion) decision to hold off on buying a carpet/laminate/any kind of floor covering until I’ve paid out for more important things first and decided completely what I want. Until then, floor paint goes a long way, and seems much more special when it’s called ‘moondust’.
The other bedroom was super easy, for me anyway! I pretty much left my new room mate to it, and she did such a good job. She went for a similar crazy colour as me – off white and blue. You can just imagine what a crazy house we have.
I think we’ve both done such a good job, massive pats on the back for us! There’s still plenty more to do in each room (and the rest of the house) before we celebrate too much.